Monday, February 4, 2013

The Culture of Ignorance


Life is a sweet array of beauty, trailing from the blue skies to the springs of fresh water. Everything is golden; everything is wonderful—till I woke up. What is it that you tell me, but I rather not hear, nay I hear but I refuse to acknowledge it. Life is better off that way. Sometimes, just maybe a tiny bit, it is better if we didn’t know. It is better to count stars, than to count the reasons why your life sucks. Don’t get me wrong, life is beautiful. But how many pictures have you smeared? How many pain have you overlooked to come to accept and know this definition to be true? Honestly, there are some things, I rather not know. What about you?

I once had an athlete that I adored. He is the best at what he does and I want to be the best at what I do. I looked up to his excellence; to be like him one day, the ‘him’ in my field. The greatest, there ever was. Till I found out something distasteful and immoral about his personal life. It really shattered and ruined all the respect I had for him. Well I should think that. But no, I still adore him. He is the best there ever was. I rather would have liked not know that piece of information but even though I did know, I acted like I don’t. Life seemed better that way. How extreme can one go, to mask reality? How about you, how far have you gone? Do you think there is a point of return? Personally, breathe is the only requirement for change but what about the strength to change? It’s a special grace! 

2 comments:

  1. Sonia you write so beautifully! I do think that in some instances ignorance can be bliss, but I also believe that all the pain and struggle we endure or see makes us into something bigger and better. More equipped to appreciate the beauty. More thankful when things do go smoothly. Seeing an athlete or celebrity struggle with their personal life makes them more relatable and forces humility upon them. It's all about perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment. It means a lot to me! I agree with what you are saying. All the rough bumps in life makes us more enduring and appreciative when the ride is smooth and there are no valleys or mountains.

    Celebrities or athletes are not perfect, they are humans too, they make mistakes too but it sucks when the person you look up to, is not as great as you thought he or she was. I guess we are left with only one choice, a choice that will never fail you, and that is to look up to JESUS!

    ReplyDelete