Thursday, February 21, 2013

Rise of the Robotics



There was once a man, who thought that if you go too far, you will fall off the edge. Another thought, that if you go too far, like a circle, you will come back to where you began. Another believes it’s an infinite walk. What do you think? I heard that you go through childhood, twice. When you are born, and when you get old. What do you think? 

Sometimes we get too in tuned with the machine that we miss out on precious moments, even life time opportunities. Now, the world we see are images created by another. We have lost touch of our creative insights. We rather sit and watch that screen, like big brother commanded us to, according to George Orwell’s book, 1984. Thinking: don’t their life seem better than mine? Now, learning is shifting towards that screen. Most external exams, like the MCAT, have shifted from traditional paper testing, to computer testing. We are getting too attach to the screen. Now learning is being transformed, making it seem inefficient to write on paper. I know of a department at school, not calling names, which give free ipad to their students. People gather at a social event, instead of interacting with each other, they rather text or facebook their friends that are miles away, even at a different continent.

What am I saying? The world comes in perspectives. People see things different, thus things change. Are we smarter now because we use technology more than in the past? Do people do better on the MCAT now that it has computerized? I think a time we will come, when taking notes with paper, will make you seem like someone dropped you off from the stone ages. Inevitably, technology is great, it saves lives, but this blessing, seems to have curses attached to it. Can you think of a few?


2 comments:

  1. While I do agree with you that our society has become too attached to the screen. I also disagree that this is entirely a bad thing. I believe that technology is continually being created to help give accessibility to the knowledge that everyone deserves to get. This accessibility is through technology. Pretty much anyone can find anything they want to know with a simple Google search. However, I do agree that some social aspects of our society have changed for the worse. Rarely do I carry a conversation with people on the bus I do not know, instead I look at my Facebook on my phone or text friends or family that are miles away. While technology has made us socially awkward, it has also helped me. Mostly because I am terrible at names and when I meet someone rarely do I remember their name after shaking their head. That's were technology comes in! I can now find them on Facebook and put a name to the face I just met! I agree that technology has changed us but I do not agree with you that all of it has been for the worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We isolate ourselves from the actual happenings of life. When at an event many people "document" what is going on with the snap of their camera on their smartphone. Instead of enjoying the present life they'd rather post it on a social networking site. It is mundane, the real world isn't comfortable and the brightness of the LCD does not tell us negative things. We, who sought out many things when we were still tribesmen, now search through various visual for hours and get lost in the spiral of the net.

    ReplyDelete