Thursday, March 7, 2013

That’s the struggle, but this is my life!


Language was a struggle between two different types of English in the past, and now in America, language is now a struggle between two different standard versions of English. I never knew English language was different till I came here. I say “perforator”, you say “hole puncher”. I say “trouser”, you say “pants”. I tell you how I love football, you think of American football, when I was talking about soccer and much more. But that’s not the issue.

Growing up, there were two different English, learned: Nigerian Standard English based on British English and Nigerian Pidgin. Nigerian Pidgin was spoken informally, even to members of your family, your parents and uncles and aunts, maybe your grandparents. And most importantly, you speak it with your friends. Now, when you are in a professional context, like that of school, such form of speaking is frowned upon. Again, you are in school, surrounded by friends and teachers. When teachers are not around, you speak Pidgin, asking “how you dey?”, meaning “how are you?”, but changed when a teacher is around. Even in answering questions in class, one has to speak in Standard English. But what happens when you slip, and speak pidgin to your teacher? It’s like texting in slangs or shorthand so much, that when you email your professor, you write ‘d’ instead of ‘the’ or ‘rmr instead of ‘remember’. So when that slip happens, you get reprimanded by your teacher. So it became a struggle. Should I forsake this comfort language that makes me come alive when I speak it and stick wholly to this rigid Standard English, that has structures and rules that limits that ways in which I can express myself? I definitely do not want to get into trouble.  What did I do? Nothing. I crossed my fingers, hoping I keep these two worlds apart, and I did. Just like I don’t use slangs or shorthand writing to email my professors, I didn’t speak informally to my teachers back then. Maybe I did, but I don’t remember. 

6 comments:

  1. I understand where you're coming from. I went to school in Japan for a while, but the school I went to was an international school so we spoke in English. I spoke Japanese the majority of the time, even at home. Whenever any of my friends or I spoke in Japanese in class, we would get reprimanded by the teachers. It definitely was a struggle to keep these two worlds separate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. I think that the whole point of communicating is to get you point across. I see the need for formality as placing restrictions on how you speak or write. But I also see the reason for the 'standard' or formality. They want us all to communicate in the same way instead of allowing different forms of expression. Allowing different forms of expression can sometimes lead to confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic Geek,

    Thoroughly enjoyed your blog post. I can only imagine that it would be difficult to keep the two worlds apart, especially since the Pidgin language was to your comfort. I find it s shame we have to separate worlds as such, but at the same time I feel we need to have that "informal world" for professional and academic use. It is a struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you should not forsake either of the two language identities. They are a part of you as much as they are of you. I grew up with English as a second language and can relate to this to a certain degree. What helped me was to separate the two identities and cherish them for what they are worth. The most valuable things in life are the parts you hold true to yourself. These two versions of English are both your own and you should embrace both of them and use them where appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that language is a struggle to understand and will always be a struggle. I have had my obstacles with language as well because Spanish was my first language. Now, I feel fortunate to have learned two languages, but I still see some improvement in learning both languages, especially in expanding my vocabulary. However, we are lucky to have learned, at the very least, the fundamentals of multiple languages and making improvements is always possible.

    ReplyDelete